If you are a fitness enthusiast and looking for rowing machines suitable for your exercise regime, then you are at right place. Today, In this article, We’ll discuss everything you need to know about rowing machines. We’ll cover all kind of rowers including water rowers, air rowers, magnetic rowers and many others. Nowadays, the Concept of Home indoor gym is getting popular where people try to avoid the crowded gym centers, and that’s where these rowing machines come into the picture.
There are a lot of companies coming in this indoor market, but Concept 2 is the company which leads the rowing machine industry. There are different rowers for personal use and commercial use. Recently, the trend of water rowers have gone up, and people have started showing their interests in water rowing machines as well.
The US TV Series House of Cards gave a push to the popularity of water rowing machine. There are a lot of rowers available under $500. But, if you are looking for quality equipment, then the price might range from $1000 to $2000. Since the last couple of years, indoor rowing has become more than an exercise; It has become a sport now. In Crossfit World Championship, they use a rowing machine as one of the hurdles.
We’ll try to cover all the important aspects of Rowing Machines and below are some of them.
- Rowing Vs. Running:
- How to Use Rowing Machine
- Things to keep in mind before buying Rowing Machine
- Types of Rowing Machine
- Top 20 rowing machines
Rowing Vs. Running
Regarding popularity, Rowing Machine might not be as popular as a treadmill, but you can’t ignore the tremendous benefits of rowing. Apart from burning the calories, it also keeps your heart healthy. If you don’t want to stretch your body much and want to follow the smooth regime that also helps to strengthen your upper body, then I think you don’t have any better option than a rowing machine. Below are some of the rowing benefits over running.
- Move More Muscles: When you run most of your lower part is active. You will see more improvement in your lower body than the upper one. Your quads, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, and calves are the main parts influenced during running. Though you won’t find a proper change in your abs and biceps. But that is not the case when it comes to rowing machines because here, the whole body movement happens. You will see the changes in your calves, hamstrings, and glutes but also in abs and erector spinae in your core. That’s why nowadays, Rowing is considered better than running.
- Reduces the chances of Joints Wear & Tear: Running is harsh sometimes, in a recent survey it was found that too much running might cause wear and tear in your joints. On the other side, rowing is considered low-impact and non-weight bearing. The chances of any kinds of damage to your ligaments are very less in case of rowing. If you are forty plus and have a problem of weak joints or arthritis, then rowing is highly recommended over running. When you row, you push off with entire foot, so the force is divided between your heels and toes as well. This reduces the chances of any damage to your knees.
- Slower Calories Burn: The count of calories burned during the rowing machine is a bit slower and smoother than the running. Below are some important stats.
- A 150-pound person burns 158 calories in moderation rowing in 30 minutes.
- A 150-pound person burns 181 calories running at 5miles per hour for the same time.
So, If you are looking for some high calories burn then running is better than rowing. But, if you want a gradual burn, then rowing is the best one. It doesn’t exhaust you and burns the required calories at the same time.
You always have to start your workout with proper warm up so that your muscles and the cardio system gets ready for the appropriate exercise. You also have to make sure that you give body enough time post work out to bring it to a normal state. It’s is recommended you have to start rowing slowly and gradually you can increase the speed. There is a certain posture that we have to keep in mind while using the rowing machine that we’ll discuss in below section.
How to Use Rowing Machine
Before you start using rowing machines, there are certain things that one has to keep in mind. Wear comfortable sportswear in which the chances of fabric getting caught is less. Decide the settings level accordingly. If you are a beginner, it should be around 2-3 and 3-5 if you are experienced. You should also keep your number of strokes at a minimum, not more than 20-30 per minute. At the start, it might seem bit difficult to understand its settings and display.
There are various ways to measure your workout. You can put your machine to track strokes per minute, calorie count or kilometers traveled as well. You also have to calculate how much time does it take to go one kilometer. Below are three different phases of rowing.
- Starting Position: For the first row, the resistance should be at the lowest, and once you figure out the way of rowing, you can slowly ramp up the speed. Make sure; your feet are tight properly around the strap so that it doesn’t slide while you move. People make the mistake of gripping the handle too tight. You have to make sure that the grip is not so tight. While pulling the handle back, you have to slide at the end of the machine. Keep your legs straight, and knees should be slightly bent so that they don’t lock. You have to lean back enough so that you can pull your hands up to the chest. It should reach right above your breasts and elbow pointing down the sides.
- The Catch: This is also a very important phase. You always have to keep your back straight to get the right results. Slumping your back will lead to the improper posture of shoulders and abs as well. There should be a smooth transition from slightly angled back to forward. Once your body leans forward, you have to slide your body by bending your legs. Long story short, you have to keep your back straight stretch the whole body by bending your knees. This part of the stroke is called the catch.
- The Drive: The third phase is known as a drive. In this position you have to slide back to your finish position, then push off, so that your legs straight up keeping your arms still in extended mode. The drive is the workout in which you try to mimic the pulling the oars out of the water so that it propels the boat forward. It works for the leg and core muscles specifically.
The last part of rowing is to finish the stroke properly. In this phase, your upper body angles back when you pull the handle so that handle ends up touching the front of your chest.
The way you start the stroke, the same way you have to finish it. Once again, don’t grip the handle too hard. Your legs should use the most of the power. If you use too much force, it can cause blisters and back problems as well. At last, I would say you have to give it a proper time to master the stroke. Don’t do it in a hurry, learn the stuff gradually and then you are good to go.
Things to keep in mind before buying the Rowing Machine
Before buying a rowing machine, there are certain factors that one has to keep in mind. Below are some of them, have a look and then only decide which rowing machine is optimum for you.
- Space: You have to check how much space you have in your house. Hydraulic rowing machines are the smallest ones; you can choose one of them if you have less space availability. There are a lot of varieties nowadays in which you can fold the machines as well. So, if you are living in a tiny apartment and wondering how you are going to accommodate one then go through all the options and choose the best ones.
- User: You also have to make sure that user requirement is matching up with the rowing machine specifications. The machine should be able to accommodate the size of that person. If you are tall, then probably you need a machine with longer seat and higher from the ground whether, for the shorter person, small seat rail would do.
- Price: When it comes to pricing, it generally ranges from 1000$ to $2000. There are some cheap models available as well, but you have to beware of those products before buying. Don’t go with the notion that if you pay more, you will get more. There are some brands whose products are not value for money. Sometimes, it also depends on the usages as well. If a single person is using the machine, then you can get a good product at a lower price as well. So, firstly decide, the kind of product, and once you are ready with the specification, then you can buy one affordable for you in that range.
- Manufacturing: Before buying the product, you also have to take a look into manufacturing as well. It should be comfortable and adjustable as well. It should have proper solid support. The frame should be sturdy, and handlebars should be adjustable easily.
Types of Rowing Machines
When it comes to the type of rowing machines, four types are depending on their functioning. There are few driven by hydraulic force, some by magnetic force and some by flying wheels.
- Hydraulic Rowing Machine: If you are budget is tight and also don’t want to devote a lot of space to the machine then it’s the one that you should probably go for. In the Machine, there is a compressed fluid that’s being pushed by cylinder or piston. There is a little disadvantage as well buying the hydraulic rowing machine as it doesn’t allow you to row in your natural position. You have to set yourself in a particular position. You might face some problems as well, but gradually you would get used to of it.
- Flywheel Rowing Machines: Second in this type comes the flywheel rowing machines. It gives you the experience like outdoor rowing. There is a fan blade attached that rotates when you pull the handles. Here, in this case, the resistance is provided by wind. Here, you have to pull harder than the hydraulic version of the machine. If we compare piston/cylinder or hydraulic rowing machines, then I think, this provides better, continuous and smoother rowing stroke.
There are a lot of flying machine rowers available in the market, but the concept of two rowers is the most popular one. This rowing machine is used by fitness enthusiasts, corporate fitness centers, and rehabilitation clinics all around the world. It is also very popular among some of the best rowing competitions.
- Magnetic Rowing Machines: These type of rowing machines are the smoothest in the market. These machines are virtually silent and don’t make any indoor noise. The machine uses a magnetic brake system unlike wind or hydraulic pressure.
In this case, there is no friction required, and that leads to no sound. That’s what I love about this machine. Most of these fitness rowing machines are based on magnetic resistance available utilizing only magnet resistance or a combination of magnetic and air resistance.
- The WaterRower: If you are a fan of outdoor rowing, then this kind of rowing machine simulates the outdoor experience at its best. It’s like a boat moving through the water. The purpose of water flywheel is to give the real experience, and indeed it does. You will only hear the swishing sound of water as if you are rowing in a lake. The water rower frame is made up of wooden that gives it a classic look. Here, if you will also see the less mechanical vibrations because of its build quality. There is also a metal version as well in the market.
Below is the list of top 20 rowing machines that you can choose from. We have mentioned all the specifications and price as well so that you can decide which one is the best for you.
- Concept2 Model D with PM5 Performance Monitor Indoor Rower Rowing Machine Black
- Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine with LCD Monitor by SF-
- Concept2 Model E Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5
- Harvil Hydraulic Rowing Machine Adjustable Resistance with Folding Arms, LCD Monitor & Safety Straps
- Schwinn Crewmaster Rowing Machine
- Stamina ATS Air Rower
- Water Rower Classic Rowing Machine in Black Walnut with S4 Monitor
- Lifecore R100 Commercial Rowing Machine
- Water Rower Oxbridge Rowing Machine in Cherry with S4 Monitor
- Kettler Kadett Rowing Machine
- WaterRower Club Rowing Machine w/ S4 Monitor & Hi-Rise Attachment
- First Degree Fitness Apollo Pro II Rowing Machine
- Stamina Conversion II Recumbent Exercise Bike/Rower
- HCI Fitness Prorower RX-750 Prorower Indoor Water Rowing Machine
- Stamina ‘New Improved’ Elite WAVE Water Rower
- LifeSpan RW1000 Indoor Rowing Machine
- Harvil Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower with 8-Level Tension Resistance System
- Marcy Foldable Turbine Rowing Machine Rower
- Body Xtreme Fitness Turbo 2000
- Stamina 35-1215 Orbital Rowing Machine Free Motion Arms
1- Concept2 Model D with PM5 Performance Monitor
This is one of the most popular low impact workout machine that engages all major muscles of your body. It works smoothly with your legs, core, and arms. Below are some of the most important things you should know about this rowing machine.
- It provides precise real-time data with calorie-burning motion Track.
- Performance Monitor 5 calibrates comparable results that connect wirelessly to the apps and belts. It’s flexible and suitable for all the users.
- You have adjustable footrests and handle that provides ergonomic balance. It has five years warranty as well that itself boasts about its long-lasting rugged manufacturing.
Does it do all the body workout? Will it help to lose the weight? Is it hard or light on the knees?
I would recommend that before buying any rowing machine, test it in the gym if available. It works for the whole body. If you are using it in the bent position, it works for your back. If you have any knee problem, start smoothly and don’t try to go way beyond your comfort zone.
What about the installation process? Should I do it by myself or should I pay $95 to the team for installation?
According to the company, there is no point in paying money for installation. There are a lot of videos available on youtube that can help with your setup. It’s pretty simple. You can go through their official website as well.
How easy was set-up? Would you recommend any professional installation?
For this, A 60 years old woman answers that She took half an hour to install it. You need to fix the bolts and only two large pieces of the couple. I think if she can do it then you can do it by yourself as well.
How much area it covers when in use? Is it easy to fold up?
It’s about 9 feet x 2 feet. You also need one to two feets another area for your arms to use it. Once you fold it, it covers only 2*3 feet.
If you want more in-depth information about Concept 2 Model D then don’t forget to read the Concept2 Model D Full Review over here.
2- Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine SF-RW5515
If you are looking for something economical and decent rowing machine, then it should be your choice. A magnetic tension system drives the machine with eight levels of resistance. Below are some of the things you should know about.
- Large LCDs time, calories, total count and much more that gives you a choice to measure your rowing at your disposal.
- Comfortable seats with non-slippery handles make rowing more smooth.
- Wheels provide the easy portability and it can bear the max weight of 250lbs. Straps are also adjustable to some extent.
Rope or webbing attach the handle in the machine?
It has the attachment of webbing and provides smooth rowing experience.
What is the size of the machine? Can it be folded?
The length is around 5’5″. Once you fold it, the machine covers approximately 4 feet of space. So not a big difference, so I would recommend not to fold the machine once you buy it.
How about the sound? Is it too loud? Can the sound be heard from the next room?
When it comes to sound, you won’t have any issue as it is a magnetic rowing machine.
Would this be comfortable for a person of more than 6feet height?
I would say, till 6’2″, it’s fine. I would still recommend, if you are too tall and skeptical about the comfort then you should first try it in a gym then only have to buy it.
Read the full Sunny Health Rowing Machine Full Review over here.
3- Concept2 Model E Indoor Rowing Machine with PM5
It is also one of the most effective indoor rowing machines for low impact work out for your full body. Its flywheels are designed to reduce the noises and lead to smooth performance. Below are the couple of things that one has to know about this machine.
- It includes performance monitor five that gives a pretty accurate data, giving you accurate, comparable data for every stroke you make.
- It has 20inch seat height with nickel chain. Footrest and Height provide ergonomic balance.
- When it comes to construction, it separates into two pieces of storage. It has the 500-pound capacity. It requires 2D Cell batteries, and it draws power once you spin the flywheel.
Is there a warranty sold with this product?
Yeah, this product comes with the warranty but with some terms and condition. You have five years warranty on the frame and two years warrant will be with the performance monitor. Though the company doesn’t recommend for buying an additional warranty from an online e-commerce website.
How does Model D differ from the Model E?
Most of the people who have used both the models have said, there is not much difference regarding performance only $200 price difference is there. There is a little difference in the size as well; the company also claim that build quality is even better than the previous version. So, it’s completely up to you whether you want to spend extra $200 cash or not.
Does this machine come with any specific games to break up the workout?
Yeah, it comes with some basic games. In one game, you have to throw the dart, one other you have to eat other fish. The monitor has a basic monochrome LCD so that you won’t have a very thrilling gaming experience as such. You can use the Rowpro software for better gaming experience if you want.
I’m 6’5″ will my face. Will I face any problem while using this machine?
I think, I would highly recommend you first to buy it. In Model D, you can adjust the display that you can’t do in Model E.
You can read the full Model E Concept2 Review over here.
4- Harvil Hydraulic Rowing Machine Adjustable Resistance
After Concept 2 and Sunny, this is the third company that makes some good quality rowing machines. It has got extremely durable manufacturing that makes it last for years. Below are some of the important things you should know about this hydraulic rowing machine.
- It can bear the weight till 265pounds. When it comes to the machine dimension, it has 50*36.2*20 inches. It weighs around 34lbs.
- You won’t face any problem when it comes to hydraulic resistance as it is one of the smoothest mechanism. The control knob can easily adjust tension. It helps you to customize your machine according to your potential.
- When it comes to tracking your progress, it has an LCD Monitor that gives you ample amount of data regarding your exercise like time, stroke count, calories burnt, and much more. It helps you in making the gradual progress so that you can push yourself beyond the limits and have a better physique.
- Regarding motion, the molded seat perfectly glides with every stroke you make. You can easily use safety straps properly that will help you in having a proper grip.
- During the time of Warranty, you won’t face any problem. You give them a call; they will come and provide you with full support.
In Amazon Official, The girl is growing in a circular motion. So, One is always supposed to row like this?
There is no foundation as such, you can row back and forth as well or circular. It’s completely up to you. So regarding rowing style, you are not going to face any constraint.
Can the resistance of arms and legs be adjusted?
The resistance of the arms can be adjusted. You can make the legs adjustment as well.
In case if I need any part replacement, where would I get it?
If you need any parts replacement, you can directly call their number or drop a mail to their official website. Email:email@example.com or Phone: 888-382-4537.
Does it come assembled?
Nopes. Some of the parts would be already assembled remaining you can easily assemble by following the guidelines. You can see below video in case; you need any help in assembly. https://youtu.be/xnuVWh8k4MQ as a reference.
You can read the full harvil hydraulic machine review over here.
5- Schwinn Crewmaster Rowing Machine
The Schwinn Crewmaster is also one of the most popular company when it comes to the rowing machine. Their machines are highly durable and provide the long-lasting experience. Below are some of the features you should know about the machine.
- It has large LCD that gives you precise information about time, stroke count, distance, calories, recovery, and pules. You can also adjust the monitor ergonomically.
- When it comes to warranty, it has a 10-year warranty on frame, 3-year warranty on parts and 1-year labor warranty. So, you can assume, a company can only give this long warranty only when they make really good quality products.
- When it comes to comfort, Oversized rower seat with easy fold design provides you the perfect rowing experience. Magnetic resistance with Large stable, adjustable foot straps give you the better hold of the machine.
What is the maximum threshold of the machine?
The machine can hold maximum weight to 136kg, and that’s pretty good enough to support most people.
What about the Crewmaster, does it fold?
It does fold, but it’s difficult to hold it and move it. So it’s recommended to keep it in its original position.
What is the length of the rail in the machine? I am 6’4″. Will I fit this?
The rail length is around 5 feet. Honestly, for a guy of your height, it won’t be that comfortable.
What is the exact length and width of the machine?
The length of the machine is around 8feet, and it is around 19inches wide. Buy only if you have enough space to fit it in your house.
Read Schwinn Crewmaster Rowing Machine Full Review over here.
6- Stamina ATS Air Rower
This machine comes at sixth position in our top 20 lists of rowing machines. The Machine is driven by the wind so that you will have resistance over here. It won’t be that smooth as a magnetic rower. Below are some of the features of the machine that you should know.
- Like another rowing machine, in this wind rowing machine also, you’ll get an ergonomically adjustable multi-functioning monitor that displays time, distance, calories burnt and speed as well.
- It’s not a completely silent machine, here you will have some fan noise. It has large footplates with an upholstered seat that is comfortable with any size of the user.
- It also folds and convenient in storage. Built-in Wheels provide the good portability while floor protectors keep machine safe from skidding.
- It has three years of frame warranty and 90days for parts. The size of the rowing machine is 77î long x 18″ wide x 22″ tall.
Does this machine use a flywheel or fan? Can the resistance of the machine be altered?
It doesn’t have a flywheel. It only has a fan. So, if you are thinking about changing the resistance. It can’t be changed.
Is there any specific difference between this one and stamina air rower?
The one difference, I can see that Stamina X doesn’t offer the adjustable tension option.
how loud is the machine if we compare it with magnetic rower?
It’s loud when you start using it at a faster rate.
I have seen in Catch Position, your alignment becomes vertical than horizontal?
I’m 5’4,” and I am using it for a while and haven’t faced any issue as such until now.
For more information, Read the Stamina ATS Rower Full Review.
7- Water Rower Classic Rowing Machine in Black Walnut with S4 Monitor
Water Rower Classic is one of the most classic water rowing machines. It gives you the actual rowing experience. Though water runs the machine; it has silent and smooth strokes. Below are some of the things that you should know about this machine.
- Resistance Series 4 gives precise performance monitor readings. It includes workout intensity, stroke time, heart rate, and much more.
- The construction of the machine is super solid. Its dimensions are 84 x 21 x 22 inches. And It can bear the weight up to 117 kg.
How is the build quality of the machine?
The rowing machine has solid, rugged quality with the heavy metallic frame.
How long it takes for the delivery of the machine?
Through Amazon, They ship the machine within the same day. Depending on the location, you probably get the machine in 3-4 days.
Is there any shipping charge for the same?
The total cost of the machine is $1560. But in Amazon, it would be divided into two parts as $1495 + $65. So, It may seem like you are paying a 65dollar shipping charge, but ultimately you are paying the same price.
If I want to buy black walnut high risers, Could you please provide me the link?
Yes we do. You can buy it from this link. https://amzn.to/2M0dcFg
Read the Water Rower Classic Rowing Machine Full Review over here.
8- Lifecore R100 Commercial Rowing Machine
This comes at the 8th number in our list of 20 rowing machines. This is one of the commercial-grade folding machines which has around 16 level of resistance. When it comes to the features, it has 15 preset programs and four heart rate control program. It also has polar HRM that gives it an edge over other rowing machine companies. Below are some of the features that you should know about.
- It has ergonomically adjusted the seat and handles to provide the best comfort. The Dimension of the machine is 92 x 19 x 36 inches unfolded. Regarding weight capacity, it can bear up to 600 pounds.
- Footrests are angled properly with pivoting heel so that you make every stroke properly.
- Company provides 5year warranty for parts, one year warranty for labor and one year for full commercial uses.
In terms of sound, which machine is quieter, R100 or Water Rower Natural?
Water Rower is considered to be the quietest machines. They make lesser sound than magnetic and air/belt driven models.
If in case, anyone faces a problem with the electronics? Would the machine still function?
One user commented that he owned one for a couple of years now and didn’t face any issue with the electronics. It can change work out. But its electronics faces a problem; it won’t function properly.
Does this have any HR monitor?
Yes, You can wear the chest strap that interacts with the monitor.
Is this the 2014 Model or 2011 One?
It’s the 2014 latest model.
Read LifeCore R100 Full Review over here.
9- Water Rower Oxbridge Rowing Machine in Cherry with S4 Monitor
This water rower also comes with the S4 monitor. Here, you will have actual rowing experience like other water rowing machines. The flywheel in the machine is enclosed in the water. Users have given a very good rating to the machine online. Below are some of the important things you should know about this Oxbridge Rowing Machine.
- Rowing experience is very smooth and quite driven by self-regulated resistance. It produces the least noise and doesn’t annoy the people sitting in other room.
- Series 4 Performance Monitor gives a precise reading about work intensity, heartbeats, stroke rate, distance and much more.
- It has the super solid construction that absorbs sound and vibration perfectly. The dimension of the machine is 84 x 21 x 22 inches (W x H xD), and it can bear up to the 117 pounds.
What is the substitute for the fluid used inside the tank?
It’s not recommended to use any substitute for it. It can damage the tank and other components. In case, you need purification. The purification tablets can be ordered by calling or emailing to the company itself.
Would you like to suggest any pad to protect carpet from damage while using the water rower machine?
There are a couple of supermarkets available online. You can use “Supermats Solid P.V.C. The mat as well. The size of this mat is around 3-Feet x 8.5-Feet. It’s a perfect fit and very durable.
What is the version of the S4 monitor that ships with this rowing machine?
The rowing machine comes with Series IV Performance Monitor
How do we adjust the resistance of the machine?
You can change the resistance of the machine by increasing or decreasing the water level. Though, the company strongly recommend not to increase or decrease the water level. I would highly recommend going through the user manual before you start adjusting the machine at your disposal.
Read Water Rower Oxbridge Full Review over here.
10- Kettler Kadett Rowing Machine
This company is also getting popularity for the last couple of years among indoor rowing enthusiasts around the world. LCD Display of the machine comes with high resolution which is easy to read while making a stroke. The machine has two hydraulic pistons that help in adjusting the resistance. Below are some of the things that you should know about the machine.
- It gives the proper workout data that includes Time duration, Distance Covered, Calories Burnt, Number of Strokes, Pulse Rate and Frequency of the stroke.
- You can change the resistance settings from 1 to 12 with the help of knob that suits your caliber.
- When it comes to the build quality of the machine. The frame is very strong made up of carbon steel and provides you lifetime breakage warranty.
- Seat comes with thick padding that provides good comfort. It has sealed ball bearings that also adds to the smooth performance perfectly sync with chrome plated steel rails.
Why should I choose Kadett version over favorite?
It’s cheaper and one of the best sculling training machine less than a grand. It gives you a better simulation, and you feel like rowing with the oars. While the Favorit only gives you fixed pull arc action that doesn’t provide the experience and looks very artificial.
Does this thing come with the single paddle?
No, this machine comes with two oars and provide you actual sculling boat experience. In this machine, you work on both sides at the same time.
What about the durability of the product?
It comes with 3years of warranty and good build quality. If you are not using it commercially and using it for personal use, then you can use it for years without any glitch.
I’m male, 5’10”, and weighs 180 lbs. I am just wondering how “whole-body” (legs, arms+torso) is the workout for a guy like me?
It’s an awesome workout
Read the Full Kettler Kadett Review over here.
11- WaterRower Club Rowing Machine w/ S4 Monitor & Hi-Rise Attachment
This is also one of the benchmark product by WaterRower company. This comes with an S4 monitor with Hi-Rise attachment. This company is based in the USA, so if you are ordering this in the USA, you probably have to pay less shipping charge than any other country around the world. Below are some of the important things that you should know about this water rowing machine.
- Solid Ash Stained Rosewood makes it classy which absorbs sound and vibration. You can use it in your drawing room as it doesn’t look at gym equipment. It looks cool.
- Like other water rowers, it is also quiet and smooth. It’s S4 performance monitor provide a variety of data including your heartbeat, stroke rate and much more.
- When it comes to its dimension, it measures around 84 x 21 x 22 inches (W x H x D) and weighs 117 pounds.
- Users have commented that sound of this rower is 10times relaxing than the air rower IMHO. Build Quality is amazing, and you won’t hear a squeak while using the machine.
What is the use of the new feature hi-rise attachment?
With Hi-Rise attachment, it becomes much easier to get on and off the machine and it also helps in maintaining the better knee position. So, if you have any knee problem, then this machine is highly recommended.
Does it come unassembled?
Yes, It doesn’t come assembled, and there are a lot of videos that can help you out. And it is very easy to assemble as well.
Does the Hi-Rise adaptor create a problem in the stability of the machine?
No, there is no problem as such. You won’t face any problem with the stability though it comes with this adaptor.
Can the tension of the machine be adjusted?
There is no knob for tension setting. But you can change the water level and see the difference in the resistance.
You can know more about Water Rower Club over here.
12- First Degree Fitness Apollo Pro II Rowing Machine
If you are looking for a machine to use for a commercial purpose, then this is one of the most popular options that you should go for. This wood rugged rowing machine is perfect for group training and one of the best equipment for the high-end home gym. The company claims that it is handcrafted from the finest quality of Ash that is wrapped around a solid steel frame. The machine lasts for years because of its solid build quality. Below are some important things you should know about the machine.
- The Machine comes with FDFís patented twin tank design which gives you a seamless experience with perfectly uniform and smooth stroke. You won’t face any lag or glitch while using the machine.
- The Dimension of the machine is 84 L x 22 W x 21 H Inches and it weighs around 79 pounds. It has a triple bladed impeller to drive the smooth stroke.
- It has a fast recoil system that gives you momentum in your body work out. Its multi-level computer gives you an ample amount of data.
- It has contoured large seat that helps you in mounting and dismounting. Texture finish helps you to avoid any slip. *In full commercial manufacturer’s warranty, you get ten years warranty in frames, two years for its component and three years for tank and seals.
I am 6ft4in, will this machine work for me?
That’s a tough question. I think you have to face the little problem with this one. With your size, on every machine, you have to pull your hands above your head.
What is the highest resistance of this rowing machine?
The Machine comes with four settings. So, you can start at the first level and increase it as you become accomplished in it.
Is the machine comfortable to row barefoot?
I think the answer to this question varies from person to person. Some people are comfortable in rowing with shoes while there are others who feel the real experience when they row barefoot.
Do I have to buy a heart rate monitor for this rower?
It’s completely up to you. If you want to measure the heart rate, then you should probably buy one. T34 transmitter is recommended with FDF receiver.
You can know more about First Degree Fitness Apollo Pro over here.
13- Stamina Conversion II Recumbent Exercise Bike/Rower
This machine is the best to give you the full body exercise. It’s an all-in-one compact design combines a recumbent bike as well. It is made up of Sturdy steel while the aluminum construction provides you the smooth workout experience at any intensity. It comes with 8 level of magnetic resistance that helps you in customizing your work experience. Below are some of the important things you should know about the machine.
- Built-in electronic monitor with a large LCD to track statistics throughout your exercises.
- Assembled dimensions of the machine is 27*20*75.5 inches and weighs around 102lbs. While folded dimensions are around 56*20*35.5 inches.
- It has pulse sensors in the handlebars that keeps track of your heart rate throughout the workouts.
- In this machine, you will have extra upper body workout that includes bicep curls, kickbacks and triceps as well.
Is this bike ok for someone who is 5’1″? Also, I don’t want the bike petals out too wide. Would there be any problem for me?
No, there won’t be any problem with that. You can adjust the height by changing the pinholes.
I think more than the height; it depends on the length of your legs.
What about is the seat, is it slick or padded and comfortable?
The seat of the rowing machine is not slick. It is padded enough to keep you comfortable for regular workout durations. People sometimes, use the cushion on the seat for their comfort. So it doesn’t give you the comfort then you can try some hack as well.
How sturdy is the puller of the rowing machine?
I don’t think you would face any problem with the puller. It is sturdy enough. In case, you want to make some adjustments; I would recommend going through the manual properly.
How about assembling the machine? How long it takes?
You have to do it by yourself. It is very sturdy.
Read the full Review of Stamina Recumbent Machine over here.
14- HCI Fitness Prorower RX-750 Prorower Indoor Water Rowing Machine
This comes with an innovative hydro-power system that you probably won’t find in other water rowing machine as claimed by the company. The users have said it provides a real rowing experience.
The RX-750 rowing machines come with adjustable pivoting footrests. It seems that one machine can be used by an entire family of different age groups.
- Large easy to read panel gives the data like exercise time, distance covered, heart rate and calories burnt. It has an inbuilt heart rate receiver. You can also use 500 split time option as well.
- The build quality of the machine is not good. So, don’t expect it to works for your commercial purpose. It could be a better option if only one person is going to use it.
- If we consider the price then it’s very affordable and one of the best in this range.
If Once folded, could this machine be shifted to an SUV by a middle-aged woman?
No, It’s a heavy and hard to load. It needs two people if you are thinking of shifting it somewhere.
What about the sound of the machine during a workout?
To be honest, it has a little bit louder sound and can easily wake up, someone sleeping in the next room. So, if you are looking for something completely silent, then this is not the product for you.
What is the height of the seat off the ground?
After the assembly is done. The seat would be around 8 to 10 inches above the ground.
For purification, where do I get extra tablets?
You can order it online. One Medium Sized packet would last for a year.
You can know more about HCI Fitness Pro Rower over here.
15- Stamina ‘New Improved’ Elite WAVE Water Rower
This rower also makes it place in our top 20 list. They have done the upgradation in their previous version, and this version has come up with a latest high-end monitor that syncs with chest strap and gives reading wirelessly. This is also a low range affordable rowing machine. The company promises that this machine help in building stamina. This is one of the popular rowing machines under $1000. Below are some of the important things you should know about this machine.
- It provides a dynamic resistance stroke with infinite resistance levels. Here, you would not have any option to adjust the resistance of the machine.
- When it comes to the machine components, It has the filling of a siphon and also a removing water option for the reservoir.
- When it comes to the size of the rowing machine. It’s around 85.35 L x 20.25 W x 32.75 H, and it weighs around 90 pounds.
What do we get in the delivery box. What is the dimension?
You get two boxes in delivery. I am not sure about the dimension.
What is the height of the seat once it’s assembled?
It’s around 12 inches.
What is the maximum weight, the machine can bear?
The weight limit of the rowing machine is 250 lbs
How often do we have to change the liquid of the machine?
You don’t have to change the water. You can use the purification tablets once in every couple of months. Read Manual before doing any changes.
Know More about the Stamina Rower over here.
16- LifeSpan RW1000 Indoor Rowing Machine
This is also one of the popular rowing machines under $1000. It has a 16.5-pound flywheel that produces a good and steady current to give a smooth rowing experience. It has the good build quality and below is some of the important things you should know about the machine.
- It has a solid steel frame. Once, the machine is assembled, it measures around 90 x 18.5 x 23 inches (L x W x H). After folding it measures, 34*19*64 inches. If you have less space, then this one is compatible and easy to store.
- It’s three LCD Console provides the data like other rowing machines. You will get to know your calories burnt, the time consumed, distance covered, time and stroke per minute as well.
- It can bear the weight up to 300 pounds. So, If you are a heavy person, this machine is for you. The frame comes with a five-year warranty, parts with a two-year and one-year labor warranty.
- This company has also received the 2008 Gear Awards Seal of Excellence.
Will it work for the people who are 6feet tall?
It would work perfectly with the people who are six feet tall. You will also have some spare space as well.
Can we adjust the inclination?
No, there is no option for adjusting the inclination.
Does this machine work on wind resistance?
No, This machine works on magnetic resistance.
Do we have to jerk at the starting of every stroke?
One User replied that he has been using the machine since last five years and didn’t feel any jerk while pulling. He also added that it’s not smooth as flywheel model, but still, it’s good and worth its money.
Read More About LifeSpan RW1000 over here.
17- Harvil Magnetic Rowing Machine Rower with 8-Level Tension
If you are looking for a rowing machine under $500, then this could be a good option for you. It’s dirt cheap and worth every single penny. This magnetic air rowing machine is perfect for an aerobic workout. It comes with an aluminium beam so that you won’t have the problem of rust. The machine comes with front stabilizer wheels and makes transportation and storage easy. Below are some of the important aspects of the rowing machine that you should know.
- It comes with 8 level of resistance and easy to read LCD Display provide accurate data about your workout. If you are a beginner, you can start rowing at level 1 and gradually level up.
- It has wide seating space, nylon rowing strap doesn’t let you slip while doing the workout. It has U Shaped seat, little bit unconventional but glides perfectly with every stroke.
- It can bear maximum weight up to 250pounds. The assembled dimension of the rowing machine is 63 L x 20 W x 26 H inches. The company provides 180days money back guarantee.
What about the assembly of the machine? Can it be assembled easily?
The machine is easy to assemble, it can be assembled by one person only. You can watch the video over here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ate_U-sh3u0
What is the warranty period?
The machine has a 180-day limited warranty period.
Can the Harvil Rowing machine stand upright for storage?
Yes, This machine can be kept in this position. It’s quite compatible and saves a lot of space.
How loud is the machine while in use?
It makes a sound. I would say the pretty good sound. If the sound is an issue for you, then this is not the right product for you.
Read Harvil Magnetic Rowing Machine Full Review over here.
18- Marcy Foldable Turbine Rowing Machine Rower
This machine is also a good rowing machine under 1000 dollars. It comes with 8 Resistance settings. You can change the level of your workout at your disposal. The turbine comes with an inbuilt display that gives you data about time, distance, calories, and RPM. The seat of the machine is very comfortable with a durable mold. It provides your ergonomic comfort while doing the exercise.
- It has adjustable foot straps. You can adjust them according to your comfort. You don’t slip while doing the workout.
- In terms of build quality, it has made up of a solid steel frame, and you won’t face any problem with the equipment for years.
I’m 6″-2″ & weighs around 370lbs. Is this machine suitable for me?
I am 6’3″ and weighs 265lbs, will this machine suitable for me?
Max weight, this machine can handle is 300lbs. You won’t have any problem while using this machine.
What is the size of the box that we will get in the delivery?
The size of the box would be approx 5feet x2feetx1 feet and weigh around 130lbs.
what is the weight limit is on this machine?
The weight capacity of this rowing machine is 300lbs.
Read the Marcy Foldable Turbine Rowing Machine Full Review over here.
19- Body Xtreme Fitness Turbo 2000
This comes at the second last position and could be an affordable option if you are looking for a rowing machine around $200 – $300. The Company claims that the machine is suitable for all kind of uses including personal, home and office. It has a silent magnetic rowing system, and you can also adjust the tension with the help of easy dial. Below are some of the important aspects of Body Xtreme Fitness Turbo 2000.
- You can change the level from low intensity to high intensity according to your workout. Its nonslippery handles give you perfect comfort.
- It also has toe strap that helps in producing the extra thrust. Build Quality is also very rugged and worth its price.
- The Dimension of the machine is 80″ x 20.9” x 33.9″ (L x W x H). You also get a sweat resistant cooling towel.
Is there a manual to use the console setting?
Yes, you would get the manual with the machine. You can also mail to the company, and they will revert you as soon as possible.
My Console is not working. It’s not counting anything. What should I do?
You can read the manual and try if there is anything wrong with the settings. If nothing works, you can contact the service center; probably they can help.
My son is 6’6″, can he use the machine?
One User commented that his height is 6í4î still he has space in the machine. I think your son can also use it without any glitch.
What is the warranty on the fitness turbo 2000?
Read Body Xtreme Turbo Full Review here.
20- Stamina 35-1215 Orbital Rowing Machine Free Motion Arms
This comes at the bottom of the top 20 list and the cheapest one. It comes with a full range of motion and gives decent rowing experience. You can also adjust the tension as well in this machine. Single button monitor in the machine gives you ample amount of data of your workout. This could be the best fit for you if your budget is around $200. Below are some important things that you should know about the machine.
- Machine has thick padded seats, and you can change the position of foot plates according to your height. Assembled size of the machine is around 48 inches long x 32.5 inches wide x 27.75 inches high.
- You will get 5years warranty on frame and parts come with 3months warranty.
Some early reviews of the machine says 1215 parts fail after a few weeks? Is it durable now?
In the Earlier version of the product, there were several complains about manufacturing defect and in their latest version, they have made many improvements. Hope for the best.
Can anyone tell me how tall is the machine? I am curious if it will slide under my sofa.
It is 8*3*4. It lot depends on the size of your sofa.
Will it work for 6’2 tall person?
Hi I am 6-3 and about 210. It works for me.
Does it come with wheels, so that I can move it around after using it?
No wheels, You can’t slide the machine.
Read the Full Review of Stamina Free Motion Arms Rower over here.
Best Rowing Techniques: Watch the Video till End
“If You have any doubts, Don’t forget to let us know in the comment. We’ll reply as soon as possible.”