Treadmills need to be taken care of. Some of them come with default lubrication. That means that there is a wax that has already been applied to the parts of it for the machine to go on. This information would be present in the user manual of your equipment. In case the machine comes with this wax and you still apply lubricant on it you would deteriorate the machine parts and in turn its life span.
In case the machine does not come with a special wax component then you need to lubricate it:
- Switch off the treadmill button and even the main power button. Then remove the adapter from there to maintain safety while you are lubricating it.
- In order to lubricate it, you need to reach for the deck of the treadmill. For that, you have to remove the treadmill belt. Find the motor (front part) and begin from there. You can make use of your hands to lift the belt cautiously. If you are doing it for the first time you might require a hand at it.
- Your aim is to remove the contact of the belt and the deck. Once that is done, now reach out for the middle section of the deck. Even if it is not the exact middle it is fine.
- Release the lubricant from the tube by gradually squeezing it. After applying the lube in the middle come to the edges. The quantity of lube recommended is approximately one-eighth of the bottle at a time.
- Apply the lubricant in parallel and in enough quantity to hold the belt. Cover around six inches of the belt border area.
- Rub it gently but keep in mind that the lubricant should not dry out.
- You need to redo the process for the other side of the treadmill deck.
- Place the belt again on the deck.
- Plug in the adaptor and press the Start button.
- Keep the machine running for about 5 minutes so that the lubricant settles and spreads evenly across the deck. Then you can start walking.
You can use silicone oil, silicone spray or silicone grease made for fitness equipment and can be used as lubricants. Silicone is a synthetic substance and if used 100 percent is the best lube for keeping the treadmills functioning. It is usually suggested by the manufacturers involved in the fitness business. You should lubricate your treadmills every three to four months depending on the weather conditions.