When it comes to fitness, rowing machines have gained immense popularity in no time. The reason being – how well your body gets toned. Nowadays, with no time to hit the gym because of our fast paced lives has taken a toll on our fitness. How about being trained without a physical trainer? Having said that, in this article we’ll talk about two rowing machines, Nordictrack RW 900 and Echelon smart rower that you can not only get access to in the comfort of your home but also get trained virtually by some world-class trainers. Keep reading to know what makes them stand out from the rest.
|Parameter||NordicTrack RW900||Echelon Row-S|
|Model number / name||NTRW19147||Echelon Row S|
|Weight||130.6 pounds||123 Pounds|
|Dimensions||50.4" H x 22" W x 86.5" L||41.7" H x 20.5" W x 83.5" L|
|Construction||NordicTrack RW900's frame is made of good quality steel. Hence, the sturdiness.||Made of alloy steel, this rower showcases excellent build quality.|
|Seat type||An ergonomic molded seat that ensures a smooth workout experience.||The seat is comfortable and adjustable as it is equipped with a 6'' lever-style adjustment|
|Type of Resistance||Manual air and magnetic||Magnetic|
|Magnetic Resistance levels||26||32|
|Air resistance levels||Manual air resistance levels - 10||None|
Black / red
|Membership||This model support iFit membership. Also, the membership is free for a year.||You get an optional membership to Echelon Fit, meaning that availing this is totally up to you. Additionally, this is a paid membership. This allows you to enjoy Speed, Strength, Endurance and Fusion classes live and on-demand.|
|Footrest||Adjustable and Ergonomic. Also, with quick release straps, the overall workout experience is enhanced.||Here, you get a Foot Platform that Adjusts to the Foot Size|
|User capacity||250 lbs||300 lbs|
|Handles||Adjustable handles||Ergonomically designed handlebars. The resistance levels can be controlled fom here.|
|Monitor / Screen||NordicTrack RW900 boasts of 22 inches HD SMART Touchscreen Display||This rower comes with a 21.5 HD rotating screen.|
|Readings displayed||Calories burned, Distance, Elapsed time, etc.||Speed, time, distance, and calories burned among others.|
|Weight of the flywheel||6.5 kgs||3.5 kgs|
|Cord length||3.2 meter||3 meter|
|Foldable||Yes. As soon as the workout is done, you can fold the rower to store it.||Yes. With its ability to get folded, you can save a lot of space after you are done with your workout.|
|Storage||This rower comes with a space saver design.||Since, the rower can be folded easily, storage isn't an issue at all.|
|Wi-fi compatibility||Yes||Yes. This ensures consistent connectivity during every workout.|
|Wheels||This rower is equipped with front mounted wheels that ensures easy transportability||This rower from Echelon has wheels that makes the entire process of carrying it from one place to another easy.|
|Speakers||Two 2" speakers||This model has speakers. So, you can listen to your favourite music without any hesitation.|
|Targeted muscle area||Total body||Total body|
|Warranty||10 years on frame, 3 years on parts & 1 year on labor||12-month limited parts and labor warranty.|
|Assembly required||Yes - very little||Minimal assembly required|
|Price||Under $2000||Under $2000|
- DISPLAY: Both Nordictrack RW 900 rower and the Echelon smart rower have an exceptional screen quality. Both are almost the same size, are LCD, support touchscreen and can also be tilted to obtain the best viewing angle. Nordictrack RW 900 rower’s 22″ HD rotating touchscreen enables you to choose from a variety of workouts that are led by world-class iFit trainers. The readings displayed include calories burned, elapsed time, distance, etc. In the case of Echelon smart rower, it has a 21.5” HD touchscreen that you can use to take advantage of a number of workouts and live classes from top instructors across the world. You get information about Calories burned, Distance, Heart rate, RPM, Resistance, Time, etc. displayed. The large screen, in both these cases, ensures a better visual experience, undoubtedly.
- RESISTANCE: The NordicTrack RW 900 rower uses a combination of air and magnetic resistance which enables the user to experience both – high end as well as low end resistance. It has 26 magnetic resistance levels and 10 air resistance levels. The combination of two resistance mechanisms calls for an enhanced user experience. With this rowing machine, you are bound to experience a smooth and quiet workout (thanks to the silent magnetic resistance (SMR)). On the other hand, Echelon smart rower has only magnetic resistance mechanism and has 32 resistance levels to choose from.
- SPEAKERS: Both these rowing machines possess this feature of built-in speakers.
- MEMBERSHIP: NordicTrack RW 900 rower has an edge over Echelon smart rower as the former comes with 1 year free iFit membership. With this membership, you are entitled to get trained from world-class personal trainers and also get to choose from over 12,000 workouts. Though most of them are rowing specific, but you also get access to yoga, kick-boxing, weight lifting and a lot more. After one year of free subscription, you’ll have to pay a certain amount to avail the same services. On the other hand, the Echelon smart rower has a membership plan as well but unlike the former, this is a paid membership.
- USER COMFORT: The NordicTrack RW 900 rower takes the user comfort to another level as it has oversized, pivoting pedals with a quick release adjustable foot straps that provide confidence and comfort throughout your fast-paced, trainer-led rowing workouts. On the same lines, Echelon smart rower too assures the user of utmost comfort as it boasts of being equipped with a comfortable seat with 6” lever-style adjustment that ensures a comfortable rowing posture, foot platform to adjust the foot size (adjustable foot straps), non-slip surfaces and a lot more.
- STORAGE: Both these rowing machines can be folded easily when not in use thus making sure that you do not have to compromise on the space these would have taken had they been not capable of getting folded.
- USER CAPACITY: NordicTrack RW 900 rower supports a maximum user capacity of 250 pounds whereas Echelon smart rower supports a maximum of 300 pounds of user weight.
NORDICTRACK RW 900 PROS & CONS
ECHELON SMART ROWER PROS & CONS
Both these rowing machines, NordicTrack RW 900 and Echelon smart rower exhibit more or less the same features be it in terms of compact storage, display, user comfort, compatibility to smartphone, etc. They vary slightly in terms of resistance levels, warranty period, membership details, total number of workouts available, and so on. Hence, these are the parameters that can help you decide as to which one to go ahead with.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Why does the seat wobble?
After prolonged use, the fit or position of the seat on the monorail may become loose due to wear and tear on the rollers.
- Can rowing tone my legs?
Well, a rower does more than just toning your legs. Rowing is a full body workout targeting your arms, shoulders, back, core as well as your lower body.
- Do these rowing machines require assembly?
Yes, both NordicTrack RW 900 rower and Echelon smart rower require a little assembly.